Friday, November 13, 2020

Re: The Giant Soup Can of Hornby Island

 

This is such an interesting question and it's such a unique piece of artwork. Here are a few methods I might try to solve the puzzle questions. 

1. Since we know the actual soup can have the same proportions as the tank, I would measure the diameter of the actual tank and the soup can. Using the ratio method, I can then calculate the volume of the tank from the volume of the soup can. 

2. If measuring the diameter of the tank is hard to measure, we can measure the height of the tank by knowing how many lengths of the bike is there for the height of the tank. Knowing the height of the tank and the actual soup can, we then calculate the dimensions of the tank by using the ratio method. 

3. Using the reflection of the sunlight to calculate the height of the tank by using the bike. We then calculate the volume of the tank. 

To answer the question of is the tank is big enough to put out an average house fire. After some research, it seems the problem is so much more complicated. There are so many different types of a house fire, either it's an exterior fire or the fire is from different levels of the house, every scenario has a different strategy to put out the fire. It all depends on the individual situation. After some calculation, I think the tank might be enough to put out a small house fire. 


My own puzzle: there is math everywhere including from some famous artworks. See the attached paintings and notice the mathematical rules were used in the paintings. 



A link that I found might be helpful to have an in-depth understanding of the question. 
http://monalisa.org/2012/09/12/leonardo-and-mathematics-in-his-paintings/




1 comment:

  1. Hmmmm -- ok, but you haven't really undertaken the solution to this puzzle! Ideally I would like to have seen exactly how you would estimate the volume of the tank, etc. But let's leave it at this point.. you have at least outlined some possible approaches!

    ReplyDelete

Re: Unit Plan

 Grade 8 - Coordinate Geometry Unit Plan (Link through the cartoon)